Friday, October 22, 2010

Allergic to WHAT???

About 2 and a half weeks ago I went into the doctor. If you know me in real life, you probably know that I am a CHRONIC headache/migraine sufferer! I literally would wake up with a headache every morning, get one around 2 or 3 and sometimes have one at night. EVERY.DANG.DAY. It was awful. But it was honestly something that I have lived with since I was in middle school so I had just learned to get through the day with it and just deal with it. I had my eyes tested, a doctor before this summer wanted me to go in and get an MRI but we never got to the bottom of it. Well I went to a new doctor right after I got home from Milwaukee. I got a bunch of blood testing done to see how my hormone levels were and while they were at it, they tested me for food allergies, Limes Disease (because we move out East every summer), and arthritis. I also have 80 year old joints!! Yikes.. my shoulders and knees will hurt like CRAZY sometimes. Well no limes disease (thank heavens!), no arthritis BUT... I am very allergic to GLUTEN! Are you kidding me? Never in a million years would I have thought that my headaches that I have literally been having for at least 15 years would have been the cause of a food allergy!! I am also allergic to dairy (that is super common though, most people actually are allergic to it and don't even know it) and I am allergic to soy beans. I eat edamame like crazy, dangit! Oh and I have a lot of yeast growing in my intestines. SOOOO.... what does this mean? Basically I can't eat anything that I am used to anymore. Okay, that was an exaggeration but that is how I feel right now! It has been 2.5 weeks and I have already lost 5 pounds on this dumb forced diet. Gluten is in EVERYTHING. It is what holds dough together so it is in breads, flour, thick soups, licorice, most cereal, popsicles, processed food, some seasonings, you name it... unless it is fresh, it probably contain's GLUTEN! Honestly, once I get rid of the cravings.. it will be a great lifestyle change for me but for now, I am hating it. I eat Crispix cereal, fruits, veggies, sauces, some deli meat and smoothies!! I am learning slowly (VERY slowly) what my body can handle and what it can't. I am amazed at how much better I feel being off of gluten though. I am almost mad that I wasn't tested for this sooner. Gluten free eating is becoming very mainstream though which is good for me. I actually went into Smiths this week and they have all sorts of Gluten-Free/Wheat-Free tags up which will be nice as I am trying to figure out what my options are. A lot of restaurants have gluten free menu's....so I will make it through this! There are actually 100's and 100's of different symptoms for gluten allergies. So if you have some annoying health issue that you have never been able to figure out, maybe get off of gluten for awhile! ;)

Boring post, I know.. but if you know anyone allergic to gluten.. send them my way so I can ask them a million questions about what they eat!


10 comments:

J & J said...

I have had the SAME headaches you're describing since as long as I can remember. My Dr told me last week to try cutting carbs / gluten, as he thinks I am allergic. I have been so sad eating broccoli and fish... I snuck some cerial last night because I was going crazy! How do you eat? What meals do you like that are gluten free? Have you noticed a change in the way you feel?

Tara said...

You should read about celiacs disease - it is when you can't handle gluten and it causes several side effects. I have a couple friend that have it and have learned to adjust for it quite well. Good luck!

Kara Simmons. said...

Poor sizz. And Greg was so mean making fun of your gluten free crepes! I hope you system will let you slowly get back into gluten!

al + sar said...

Tara send me your number and I will really have my friend call you, she has been allergic to it for awhile now and I know that she has lots of tips! Good luck! I have some weird health issues too so I have thought about getting tested for it but I dont want to because I dont even want to know! I dont think I could eat that healthy all the time haha!

jkzank said...

As bad as that sucks, I'm glad you figured out the cause of your headaches! The gluten free diet...hmmm maybe I should try it just to lose a few lbs!

Jason-Mindi-Porter-Ellery said...

Hey I was at Sunflower Market the other day and saw tonz of gluten free stuff like pasta, pretzles,crackers, muffin and pancake mixes etc. You should check it out. Also you need to look up glutenfreebetty.blogspot.com! Tons of recipes that look great!

The Thueson's said...

Thank you guys! Yes, I know that I don't have celiacs which is a good thing! But it could turn into it if I keep eating it I guess. Lame-O! It is okay, I am handling it quite well now! :) Thank you for the website Mindi! I will have to check it out! Oh and I have noticed a HUGE difference in the way that I feel. It has been wonderful!!!

Linds Forrest said...

Hi. I check your blog every so often, and you did my families glitter toes awhile ago. Anyway my sister-in-law is gluten free and makes most everything that has gluten, without, and it still tastes good. She also has a blog. http://glutenfreebetty.blogspot.com. You can contact her through the blog with any questions. Her entire family has to be gluten free too. Good luck!

Calaigh and Sterling said...

My little cousin adopted from Taiwan ... Is allergic to pretty much everything. The biggest is gluten And is also lactose intolerant .. So lives off rice milk but my aunt has gotten used to cooking for him but he has all the same allergies as you ... If you want her number then text me and let me know :)

Amy said...

Hi! My name is Amy, and I am married to a Thueson also. My brother stumbled upon your blog, searching for mine. I also happen to be gluten-free! I have a blog if you would like to take a peek
glutenfreeinthefork.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...