Saturday, November 29, 2008

A little Update!

Well my sister was released from the Neurology Dept. yesterday afternoon. Everyone keeps telling her how incredibly lucky she is. I agree. Here is a little rundown on what actually happened. About 9 days ago, she started having horrible headaches. They didn't get SUPER bad until the 3rd day. She went into the ER at Jordan Valley 3 different times. She got a spinal tap one time, a CT scan the other time and then another time, she just got sent home loaded up on muscle relaxers and morphine. Nothing even touched her headache. Finally on day 6 (which was Thanksgiving Eve) we all headed up to her house and my dad and Braun gave her a blessing. She couldn't even sit through the entire blessing her head hurt so bad. So.. I had heard the U had a really good ER so I decided to take her up there. They did another spinal tap on her which came back normal. I kept thinking in my head.. they need to do an MRI. (My little sister has had seizures for 6 years and at one point was having them every few minutes, so we are a pretty informed family on brain issues.) I started pushing them to do an MRI on her. They are really reluctant to use that machine for some reason. I have heard it is pretty expensive. They said that if she had a tumor or a clot, it would of shown up on the CT scan. Well, they finally agreed at about 4 in the morning. Her MRI results came back and were normal. Well, they told her she had a cyst on her brain.. but that a lot of people have cysts on their brains so not to worry about that. So at about 8:30 they let us go home. That was a LOOONG night in the ER. I tried to get a little sleep on 2 plastic chairs, but it didn't work. I don't even remember most of the car ride home (AND I was driving!) By the time we got home, she was in so much pain again. She couldn't feel her right arm and couldn't move her head in any direction. I called the ER again. They said that since her MRI came back fine, they couldn't do anymore tests. WELL.. about 2 hours went by.. my sister gets a call from a Neurologist there and says she needs to come back in RIGHT NOW because they found a blood clot on her brain. I personally have no idea what a blood clot can do, so I didn't understand the severity of it. Well, I knew that it was definately life threatening.. she headed back up. She called me and told me that if anything happens to her, then I get her kids. Sheesh.. I lost it. Now she thought she was going to die. I just wished I knew as much as those doctors about clots. It frustrated me really bad. Well.. my family went up there and sat in the waiting room. The doctors came and told us how incredibly lucky she was to of found it. That it was a really small clot AND that it was on a vein going OUT of the brain. Which were all good things in this type of situation. They needed to get her on blood thinners immediately to make sure no more clots started to form. They needed to monitor her for 3 days up there. Well, her headache started to feel a lot better which was nice for her. Later that night, they did another CT scan and found that the blood clot had passed. ANOTHER miracle. They let her go home yesterday around 1 PM. By the time we got home, her head was pounding all over again. They think now it is because of all of the morphine, meds, and the 2 spinal taps that she had. Which is completely understandable! BUT.. no more blood clot. (sigh)
Now she has to give herself a shot in the stomach twice a day, take blood thinners for 6 months and go into get her blood checked 2 times a week. Wow...

Anyway, just wanted to give you an update on my sister. Thank you all for the nice calls, texts and comments. You are great!!

7 comments:

Jennie B. said...

I'm so glad she is okay! Sisters are the greatest! I hope she heals okay. You are so nice to help her out so much!

Jon and Maria Ison said...

My gosh--I'm so sorry that both you and especially Heather had to go through this. I hope everything is okay now. I will continue to keep Heather in my prayers, Tara. Priesthood blessings are the best, aren't they? Thanks for posting an update.

Melissa said...

thanks for the update! she is SO lucky! Lucky it passed so quickly too. my dads didn't go away near that fast. Had she had surgery in the last few months?

thehaagas said...

I am sorry to hear that your family is having such a scary time but I am glad she is okay and will be okay. Thanks for the update.

The Nelson Family Smorgasbord said...

Tara, what a whirlwind of a week you have had. You are a powerhouse for taking care of all the kids AND carrying one of your own! You and your family will be in our prayers!

Hayley Neil said...

Oh man, I am so sorry Tara. What a scary thing. I am glad she is doing better and has such a great sister as you to take care of her. That's what family is for! You guys are awesome! I hope things keep getting better.

*LAYLA and AUSTIN* said...

oh Wow Tara I am so sorry but you are right, she is very blessed! I know the situation and the blood clot was terrible and such a hard thing for her and your whole family to go through but I am very glad it turned out well and that she is on the road to recovery. You are such an amazing sister to be by her side the entire time and to push the drs. to do the MRI.

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...